The Merrell MQM Flex is described as a hybrid shoe which is a cross between an ‘ultra-trail running shoe and a hardcore hiking boot’. We have put it to the test in the Shropshire Hills.
The shoes are designed to allow you to ‘Move Quickly in the Mountains’ which is exactly what we’re looking for. Days out in the hills on trail running routes and canicross running can be challenging and as we all know, staying upright is the aim.
- Mesh and TPU upper
- Traditional lace closure
- Bellows tongue keeps debris out
- Breathable mesh lining
- Hyperlock™ printed TPU film heel counter for security
- EVA removable footbed
- FLEXconnect™ dual-directional flex-groove EVA midsole for agility and stability
- Merrell Air Cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
- TrailProtect™ pad offers additional support off road
- M Select™ GRIP outsole tunes each outsole with durable traction that grips when and where you need it
- 3.5mm lug depth
- Weight: 1lb 3oz / 536g
First of all, these shoes fit perfectly. Wearing a women’s 8.5, there’s often some discrepancy in sizing and it was a very pleasant surprise to tie the laces and immediately feel ready to run. Over the last few weeks, the shoes have been tested in hot, warm and wet weather conditions thanks to the Great British Summer we’ve enjoyed. They’re lightweight, which helps immensely with trail running and as our canicross buddy sometimes likes to stop to sniff the view, they’ve also proven perfect for walking on all terrain. They feel secure and sturdy without losing the comfort and flexibility needed for running. It became apparent very quickly that they could be trusted on downhill sections, even in the rain! The added protection instilled confidence during a couple of particularly rocky paths and the cushioning is as effective now, after around 250miles, as it was on day one. They also look great, although they now look much more authentic with mud splatters all over them!