Trust me – oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast! This savoury porridge is a deliciously different way to enjoy oats.
From pan to plate in under 15 minutes, it’s also ideal when you arrive home from a run starving and need something fast and nutritious to help you recover your energy levels.
Add a grated courgette or fresh spinach to the mix to boost your veggie intake.
Ingredients – serves 1
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 75g steel cut oats
- 350ml vegetable stock (use half a stock cube)
- Black pepper
- 30g parmesan or cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful rocket
- One egg
- Heat the oil in a medium pan and cook the spring onions for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the oats to the pan with the stock and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-6 minutes until thickened and soft
- Stir in the cheese and stir until melted, keep on a low heat
- Heat a small non-stick frying and wipe with a little oil. Fry your egg until the white is set (you can cover the pan to help set the yolk)
- Pour your oatmeal into a bowl, top with a handful of rocket and your poached egg. Add a little extra grated cheese if wished.
Copyright: okkijan / 123RF Stock Photo