A tasty and nutritious smoothie recipe to boost iron.
“Absolutely loaded with vitamins, iron and disease-fighting superfood phytonutrients, this juice will give you a real boost if you are feeling low or under the weather,” says Kate Percy. “Research suggests that purple foods can protect you against heart disease, strokes, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease too.”
Nutrition per serving:
- Energy (kcal) – 62
- Protein (g) – 1.5
- Carbohydrate (g) – 14
- Fat (g) – 0.5
- Of which sugars (g) – 13
- Of which saturates (g) – Neg
- Salt (g) – 0.1
- Fibre (g) – 2
Ingredients for 2 glasses
- 1 small cooked beetroot (about 50g)
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 150ml apple juice
- 100ml water
- 4–5 ice cubes
- handful of watercress (remove any thick stalks)
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method (takes 5 minutes)
- Chop the carrot and the beetroot into small cubes and put in a blender with the apple juice, water and the ice cubes.
- Blend for a minute. Add the watercress and blend again until the mixture is really smooth.
- Add a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Strain the juice through a tea strainer or sieve.
Recipe courtesy of Kate Percy’s gofasterfood.com
Words: Rob Kemp Image: Shutterstock